Chic-Flick Trailers

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Which Flicks of 2009 will make the cut?: Predictions for the New Chic-Flicks

Have you noticed how production companies ring in the New Year? They invade the theatre with chick flicks in the form of the ever popular, Romantic Comedy (a.k.a rom-com). Stay tuned for a blog next week of a review and break down of this sub-genre. Get ready everybody, because it's all about the Valentine's season. So what better time is there to start my predictions for potential chic-flicks of 2009? I haven't seen any of these movies and base my opinions on reviews and other media and promotion. Without further adieu:

Bride Wars: Released January 9th, there was only one passing review grade from Yahoo! and quite a few flowery comments from the others. The reviews state and confirm what I suspected, that this movie lacks substance and integrity (again you must check out Ebert, it is cruel and to the point). This is a wedding movie that goes too far as to suggest that a woman's wedding is more important that her relationship with her best friend and there isn't anything funny about it. This is a Sisterhood Flick headed for the isles of the Mean Girl Movie. An interesting tidbit by critics was the lack of involvement by the fiancés of Anne Hathaway's Emma and Kate Hudson's Liv. It is disappointing to see great actresses choose such shallow work that doesn't display their talent. I will try to keep an open mind and hope for the best, but will mostly stick to other chic-flicks like Ella Enchanted and How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days starring these actresses.
Yahoo! Movies Average Critic Grade: C-
Average User Grade:
B+
Rotten Tomatoes Average Critic Meter: 3.5/10
Average User Meter: 5.2/10

New in Town: Released in on Friday, January 30th, it has already gotten the mediocre star grade from critics. Ebert's review criticizes its lack of originality. The most positive reviews say that Connick Jr. and Zellweger are fun to watch but the writing falls into boring predictability. I think this movie has some potential based on the snippets of quirky towns people and slapstick comedy featured in the trailer. The ending is easy to figure out but the journey might be fun! Renee Zellweger is an Academy Award winning actress and was in such great chic-flicks as Jerry Maguire but great actresses make these mistakes often. I'm interested in seeing Harry Connick Jr. who can be so quirky and cute, like in other great chic-flicks like P.S I Love You, and seems perfectly cast amongst the small-town characters.
Yahoo! Movies Average Critic Grade: C-
Average User Grade:
B
Rotten Tomatoes Meter Average Critic Meter: 3.9/10
Average User Meter:
6.8/10

He's Just Not That Into You: Opening February 6th, is an ensemble piece with a star-studded cast that has been widely promoted. Based on the self-help guide for women who can't seem to understand men who won't return their phone calls. The trailer seems to promote the intentions of the book which has potential for characters with integrity and substance. The story is unpredictable for many reasons, the simplest being that there is an uneven amount of characters who are all interconnected in the storyline. Ginnifer Goodwin, Scarlet Johansson and one of my favourite actresses, Jennifer Connelly are the bright spots in the cast that I look forward to watching. If I was to choose the flick with the most potential to be chic, it would be this one.

Confessions of a Shopaholic: Opening February 13th it is just in time for Valentine's Day. A movie to distract every single girl from romance to the next best thing...shoes! I hope my sarcasm is obvious. Once again, this falls into the same stereotypes as Bride Wars, that women can be occupied with frivolous pretty things long enough for a man comes along to save them from their lack of depth. The trailer is very cute and does give me some hope that it might be the exact opposite, to which I say, good luck! Isla Fisher is adorable and the books are very popular so I'm expecting it will do well at the box office. I need my movies with a little more integrity than what I've seen from this already so I hope it delivers!

All About Steve: Opening, March 6th, starring the rom-com queen, Sandra Bullock and the second appearance made by Bradley Cooper, from He's Just Not That Into You. This movie worries me solely based on the title, even though it does make sense in the trailer. I hope the movies makes it all about other characters as well. Bullock's character is an oddball, not usually seen in rom-coms, which makes me think the movie has potential for depth. This follows New in Town with it's potential because of a quirky supporting cast and slapstick humour.

Those are all the Chick-Flick season based movies out. I hope you proceed with caution as to what to see and what to wait until the DVD for. Some upcoming titles to watch out for in the Spring/Summer season are The Proposal (starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds), The Ugly Truth (starring Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler) and The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (starring Jennifer Garner and Matthew McConaughey).

FUN FIND
:
Featured on Yahoo Movies! watch an interesting video narrated by the men of He's Just Not that Into You.



4 comments:

  1. I've seen Bride Wars. It was actually pretty good. And I have very low expectations for pretty much any chick flick ever made. There's the occasional one that I'll say is 'good' or 'decent', but they are few and far between.

    Yes, the trailers make the movie look like it takes normal women and changes them into gigantic, over-controlling monsters. And yes, they get a bit out of hand, but they do feel remorse over their actions long before the end of the movie. And it's not much of a spoiler to say that their friendship survives the movie. As sad as this will sound coming from me, Ness, give the movie a chance. It wasn't -that- bad, for a chick flick. =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I just don't believe you. The resolution doesn't undo the stereotypes that even the trailer portrays of women. I will probably rent it and I'll just have to see for myself. I really appreciate the defense though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All about Steve looks like a journey of self discovery, from what I've seen from the trailer. And the general synopsis that I read (I think it was on imdb; sorry I can't give the exact reference)stated that while she followed Steve, the main character meets many new people which make her think about the reason for the journey. I think it would be a very interesting plot twist if she broke it off with him and dated/married one of the people she meets. We shall have to wait and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree there is definite potential for this flick. If the movie first depicts Bullock's pathetic obsession and then her journey through self discovery than it could very possibly be a good movie. I agree that some twists in the storyline would give this a better chance at being chic. I love Bullock and hope she made a good choice. It all depends on the writing.

    ReplyDelete